Saturday, August 2, 2014

REVIEW: Lead by Kylie Scott

Lead (Stage Dive. #3)Lead by Kylie Scott
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

You know, I thought I loved "Lick" and "Play" but nothing could prepare me for the emotional roller coaster that is "Lead".

I didn't like Jimmy Ferris in "Lick" . I didn't want to know him, I didn't care about him, I thought he was a waste of space. I honestly did. Anyone who is that much of a self-absorbed alcoholic and drug abuser, I have no sympathy for. But, I didn't know his story... truly. Just what David shared in "Lick". Already knew his past wasn't pretty.

But, if you've read "Lick" (if you haven't... SPOILERAGE ALERT and GO READ IT RIGHT NOW), then you know that he went to rehab before the group relocated to Portland.

Well, Jimmy's out of rehab and the band is in Portland. They've hired Jimmy a new "sober" partner/assistant in the form of Lena. Lena doesn't take crap from anyone as was evident when the group were at Adrian's office and when Adrian gave her a hard time, she sassed him right back before he fired her. That had the gang sold on her.

Lena's past is something she doesn't like to dwell on. She left home after her ex cheated on her and hasn't been back since. She has no plans to attend her sister's wedding either.

Lena is there to keep Jimmy sober. She lives in the house with him. When things happen at Mal's mom's funeral, she begins to see the man behind the mask that Jimmy has had firmly in place. She knows he's flawed, but she falls for him.

When they return to Portland, her feelings intensify and it becomes harder for her to ignore. Jimmy begins to call her out on glancing at him and when she finally admits she has feelings for him, they come up with a plan for her to get out of the house and date.

When the plan works too well, jealousies come out to the point that she leaves and goes home while he goes to L.A..

How does this end? Ha... not tellin... Read on though for my thoughts.

I heart Malcolm, I really do. He brought the humor whole heartedly at times when I wanted to kick Lena or kick Jimmy. The gang was in full force to lend their support throughout the book, even Killer the puppy.

We see the Ferris brothers disagree, make up, and bond and I love that. I love that Jimmy and his flaws made me go from hating him/not really caring about him, to loving him and wanting him and Lena together.

Lena and her strength at being there for Jimmy at the funeral and then when things came ahead not once, but twice where the Ferris' boys mother was concerned, I believe, is what cracked through Jimmy's walls and Jimmy harbored feelings for Lena from the get go... I'm convinced of that.

I though "Play" was my favorite of the series because Mal makes me laugh and I adored his book, but Kylie redeemed Jimmy for me. You have to read the series to discover Jimmy and his flaws and you won't be disappointed. While Jimmy is always gonna be an addict, he owns up to that and doesn't hold back about it and instead gets through the day one day at a time and by the end of the book, he's got me in his corner.

And now we wait for Ben's story... and I'm hoping to see lots of Jimmy and Mal and David involved in there.

View all my reviews

Amazon Kindle Book link

No comments:

Post a Comment