Sunday, August 3, 2014

REVIEW: The King by J.R. Ward

The King (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #12)The King by J.R. Ward
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really wanted to give this book five stars. Truly, I did, but the problem I had with this book was too many side plots and not enough of the Brothers.

Don't get me wrong, I found I enjoyed Assail and Sola as well as Trez, iAm, and Selena but there wasn't enough of the Brotherhood and the Lessers and the fighting for me. In fact (SPOILER HERE), there were only two MINOR instances of Lesser involvement and the Brotherhood only got involved after Trez called them to come clean up.

So about my review... well... what did I like? I loved reading about Wrath and his past and how his present was sort of paralleling in a way with the past. While Beth (SPOILER HERE) is not poisoned, it is because of her that people seek to remove him from the throne.

We see the true love and strength that Beth and Wrath have for each other and the lengths that they will go to for the other to make them happy. We see them both struggle with her Needing and whether or not to allow it as well as whether or not to have a baby.

I struggled with reading this book... it took me a month and the only books that do that are ones that I cannot get into. I grounded myself this weekend to finish this book and I'm glad I was able to focus on the story once I figured out why I couldn't get into this book.

Will the fact that I had such a hard time getting into this book stop me from reading other BDB books in the future, heck no. I love the Black Dagger Brotherhood and hope for many more books about them and their world. I just wish there was less side plot and more history of how Wrath came to be as well as more of the Brotherhood in this story.

Although it was implied that Blay and Quinn were in the house in several scenes, I cannot recall actually reading about them in the book.

And Layla and X'Cor... I'm sorry... but her sneaking out and him now knowing where the BDB are I am not happy with. Layla may think she was doing good to promise herself to X'Cor (SPOILER HERE) if he gave up his vengence to dethrone Wrath, but honestly the baby needs to be born and she needs to be gone from the mansion. End of.

However, I did fall in love with Trez and iAm and cannot wait to read more about them when their story comes out.

And that's my review in a nutshell.

View all my reviews

Amazon Kindle book link

No comments:

Post a Comment